Call the UNITED WAY at 1-800-650-4357 (or 2-1-1), or visit United Way of Toledo for referral to the most appropriate local or national resources.
Hope is available to any homeowner in America having trouble paying their mortgage. Call 1-888-995-HOPE (1-888-995-4673) any time. Counselors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and provide free foreclosure prevention counseling. They will help you negotiate with your lender free of charge!
Printable Foreclosure Prevention Pamphlet
Foreclosure Information Directory
These organizations can help:
Foreclosure Intervention Hotline
24 hours/7 days a week
Ohio Home Rescue Fund managed by the
Homeownership Preservation Foundation
Legal Aid of Western Ohio (LAWO) &
Advocates for Basic Legal Equality
(419) 724-0640 1-888-534-1432
Apprisen (FKA Consumer Credit Counseling
of Northwest Ohio)
HUD-certified counseling agency
(419) 531-2227 1-800-355-2227
Lucas County Veteran Services
Mortgage assistance to veterans
Lucas County Veterans Services
Neighborhood Housing Services (NHS)
Foreclosure rescue assistance
Toledo Bar Association
Toledo Fair Housing Center
Predatory lending remediation program
Empowering & Strengthening Ohio's
Bilingual homeownership and financial literacy
- Do not ignore letters from creditors. Some foreclosures can be halted if you communicate with your lender promptly.
- Typically, lenders do not want your home; they want your house payments.
- Foreclosure proceedings may cost your lender a lot of money.
- Often it is in everyone's best interest to agree on new terms that modify the current mortgage.
- Call or write your lender.
- Contact the lender's "Loss Mitigation" or "Foreclosure Prevention" department.
- Ask the lender to send you a "work-out' packet to update your financial information including current income, expenses and other debts.
Be aware of scams
- Solutions sounding too good to be true usually are.
- Be aware of predatory lending and DON'T be a victim.
- Be aware of unscrupulous people who will take advantage of your troubles.
- Be aware of phony counseling agencies that charge large fees to perform services you can do for yourself with assistance from the sources listed in the directory above.